This version is now deprecated, consult the installer guide for a link to the latest version.
This release focused on further fine tuning the installer for smoother operation and enhanced functionality. You may notice that I have not added many “new features” but the existing features have greatly improved and the few new features that have been added are very useful refinements. I am considering this to be the first “Stable” release of the myHack installer and thus the beginning of the official 1.0 branch.
Note: It will take longer to run than previous versions due to a modified version of pfix 3.0 being run during post installation. This has been done to ensure absolute error-free installation. Just wait patiently and an installation succeeded message will be displayed when these scripts have completed, do not exit the installer prematurely!
- -Updated Chameleon 2.0 RC4 to Chameleon-2.0-RC4_PCEFI-10.5_AsereBLN_myHack-1.0 r111
- -Updated pfix v2.6 to pfix v3.0
- -pfix now installed to /usr/sbin/ instead of /
- -Refined and improved pre-installation, bootloader installation, and post-installation scripts.
- -Added function to backup any existing /Extra directory prior to installation.
- -fdisk will now be used internally instead of overwriting the stock OS X one in /usr/sbin/
- -Replaced IOATAFamily.kext with a different one known to have fewer problems.
- -Added function to install tar, gzip, bzip2, rsync and nano to /usr/bin/ if target is installation device.
- -Modified default com.apple.Boot.plist for Graphics Enabler to include a default VESA resolution.
- -New and improved boot theme.
- -Updated pfix v2.4 to pfix v2.6
- -Added function to to hide /boot file.
- -Added function to GraphicsEnabler option which will now determine the PciRoot value automatically.*
- –Bugfix: Corrected minor bug in post-install script. (Force system cache rebuild with kextcache)
- –Bugfix: Corrected minor bug in pre-install script. (Added IONetworkingFamily.kext to cleanup script)
* Automatic PciRoot discovery function will only be run when installer is targeting the root partition of a running Snow Leopard installation. If PciRoot can not be determined a default PciRoot value of 1 will be used instead.
- -Updated pfix v2.3 to pfix v2.4
- -Removed VoodooHDA.kext (Caused kernel panics for too many users).
- -Removed PlatformUUID.kext (no longer required).
- -Improved post-installation scripts to significantly reduce execution time.
- -Updated PC EFI 10.5 to Chameleon 2.0 RC4
- -Updated pfix v2.1.1 to pfix v2.3
- -Created new “GraphicsDisabler” feature.*
- -Added voodooHDA.kext to provide limited audio support for a variety of audio hardware.
- -Added custom IONetworkingFamily.kext to provide support for additional networking hardware.
- –Bugfix: New IOATAFamily.kext which now works correctly on a wider variety of hardware.**
- –Bugfix: New SleepEnabler.kext which is compatible with OS X 10.6.0-10.6.3.***
- -Replaced OpenHaltRestart.kext with EvOreboot.kext.
- -Revised bundled kernel extensions. ****
- -Revised “Read Me” section of installer in hopes that people will no longer make a very critical mistake.
- -Improved boot theme to give a fresh and more visually appealing appearance.
- -Made a significant number of alterations to internal installer coding and installation scripts.
* This function will provide true VESA functionality to virtually ALL graphics hardware, including the hardware which failed to function in VESA mode with the old Framebufferdisabler.kext.
** This new IOATAFamily.kext includes new builds of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, IOATABlockStorage.kext & IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext embedded as plug-ins inside of it, they are no longer required separately. It has been compiled from 10.6.2 source and also prevents a kernel panic that was encountered previously on some hardware. IMPORTANT NOTE: We have tested this with 10.6.3 beta and determined that it DOES NOT WORK and will in fact likely cause a kernel panic. If you require this extension due to a lack of SATA+AHCI do not upgrade to 10.6.3 until a solution is discovered.
*** This SleepEnabler.kext should be compatible with future versions of OS X as well. The previous Sleepenabler.kext included with earlier versions of myHack Installer causes a kernel panic if not removed prior to booting after a 10.6.2 update.
**** Removed the following kernel extensions: AHCIPortInjector.kext, AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler.kext, AttansicL1eEthernet.kext, FramebufferDisabler.kext, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext, JMicronATA.kext, LegacyJMB36xSATA.kext, & SKGE.kext.
Replaced the following kernel extensions with newer versions: AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext, IOATAFamily.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, Sleepenabler.kext.
Renamed: LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext to LegacyAppleRTC.kext (32bit limitation is well documented I don’t think it needs to be in the name anymore).
- -Updated PC EFI 10.4.1 to PC EFI 10.5
- -Updated pfix v1.2 to pfix v2.1.1
- -Made minor changes to “Read Me” section of installer for additional clarity.
- -Added “Chocolate Kernel”* which allows OS X 10.6 to be run on legacy Intel, AMD** & i5 processors.
- -myHack Installer package now copies itself to the / of an installation device automatically.
- -Added Snow Leopard port of lspci.
- -Added native 64bit Snow Leopard build of IOATAFamily.kext for functional PATA (IDE) support.
- -Updated pfix v1.1 to pfix v1.2.
- -Updated PC EFI 10.3 to PC EFI 10.4.1.
- -Updated default com.apple.Boot.plist to use EthernetBuiltIn=y.
- -Refined and improved install scripts & the descriptions of each individual option.
- -Important information regarding known issues embedded into installer “Read Me” section.
* For full release notes regarding the “Chocolate Kernel” please see the Downloads page.
** This kernel will run most AMD systems but it does not include on the fly CPUID patching so if you intend to use this on an AMD system you will need to obtain a third party tool to patch your binaries.
- – Bugfix: PC EFI 10.3 was not properly installing over the Chameleon boot file in previous versions.
- – Bugfix: OSInstall MBR MOD would sometimes not properly install when using RC2.
- – OSInstall MBR MOD now checks for OSInstall.mpkg on target drive and is installed automatically.
- – Graphics Enabler option added.
- – Consolidated and simplified core options.
- – Bugfix: Added permissions enabling script to post-install. Details posted on the v1.0 RC2 release page.
- – Integrated OSInstall.mpkg & OSInstall framework into a single option.
- – Changed openhaltrestart.kext option to selected by default.
- – Added pfix v1.1 to installer.
- – Improved kext descriptions.
- – Chameleon 2.0 RC3.
- – PC EFI 10.3.
- – Sample com.apple.Boot.plist for basic operation.
- – Snow Leopard inspired myHack Chameleon boot theme.
- – All of the kexts listed on the Downloads page.
- – A number of bugfixes and snow leopard specific enhancements to the Chameleon installation scripts.
- – Detailed descriptions of each custom option.