Well I finally got the insurance pay out for my busted up i7 920 system. I could have gone LGA2011 but I don’t really need it so I opted to go for an Ivy Bridge system instead.
- Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD5H (Would have liked to get GA-Z77X-UP5 TH but don’t really need thunderbolt, and none were available in Korea yet)
- Memory: 16GB (4x 4GB) Samsung DDR3 1600Mhz
- CPU: i7 3770K
- Case: Fractal Design Define R3 USB3 – Arctic White
I was able to salvage the 700 watt PSU from my old tower, and I had removed all the HDD’s prior to allowing the movers to take the computer so those were safe. I also had an HD6870 that wasn’t in the system at the time (had been using a 9800GTX+ because it had 2 dual link DVI outputs and the HD6870 only has one) so those are the other components in the new system.
I have to say, I’ve done, or helped with, many many many many hackintosh builds. This was by far the easiest one I’ve ever done. Installed OS X 10.8 with myHack 3.1.2.
Almost everything worked OOB except for ethernet, audio, and power management. (Even USB3 worked OOB)
The DSDT only had 3 errors from some funny gigabyte bios developers (I am running F8 bios currently) – for example one device entry was supposed to be a hex value but they put in ABCDEFGH – lol – lazy devs. Aside from fixing the errors, the only things I added to the dsdt were a basic HDEF patch and the DGTP method. Took less than 5 minutes total.
For power management I simply binpatched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext by doing the following from a terminal:
- sudo cp -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext /Extra/Extensions/
- sudo perl -pi -e ‘s|\xE2\x00\x00\x00\x0F\x30|\xE2\x00\x00\x00\x90\x90|g’ /Extra/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement
- sudo rm -Rf /Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
- myfix -t / -q
This is the exact method I used on my notebook as well, it appears to work on all Sandy/Ivy bridge processors – so much easier than screwing with SSDT’s (thanks aschar for taking the time to look up the binpatch and send it to me, as I had forgotten).
For ethernet (this board has two) I used the following extensions:
- AtherosL1cEthernet.kext (with my devid added)
A quick myfix again, and both ethernet devices showed up in the networking preference pane, brilliant.
The only thing that doesn’t work quite right at this point is the Audio. I have a patched AppleHDA.kext for the ALC898 living in /Extra/Extensions, but the pin config is a bit off (I get headphones and two line out outputs), and it makes this popping sound before playback begins if it’s sat mute for a few minutes (i’ve heard other’s complain of this in the past but I never had the problem with my ALC889 or Intel IDT audio chips). But hey, it’s working and I spent less than 30 minutes on the whole post install job so I can’t complain.